Saturday, August 11, 2012

[INTERVIEW] Koo Hye Sun with Woman Center August 2012-page 1

  [Because this interview is very long, I divided it into 3 parts]

Actress, Director, Painter, Composer
   We are invited to GHS’s work studio. 

photo credit : Bambi
After the BOF’s great big hit, she walked an unexpected path. She published a novel, made a movie, and even had an art exhibition. Many thought she will soon return to her regular path but she is about to open her second feature movie and there is even a word that she is about to open a third art exhibit. At her private space, her work studio, we talked about art and love. (Reporter Choi HeeJin and Photographer Ha JiYoung)

We met at the Gallery Café in Seoul BanPo-dong;  the café is operated by GHS’s sister. The café is decorated with her art. GHS mentions that she usually carries out her interviews at the café. At first I wondered whether she would use the interview to promote the café. But I find out that her work studio is located downstairs from the café. When she is not busy filming a movie or a drama, she would spend most of her time at her work studio. So, it is convenient for her to have “work” such as interviews at her studio. The interview started with the news about her upcoming art exhibit in the late August. She says, “If the first and the second exhibits are more of an event for the book and the movie, the third exhibit is totally for the sake of the art.” GHS was excited. 

Art and Collector is the public relations firm organizing GHS’s exhibit. Its leader Kim Jong Geun describes GHS as, “she has many ideas for her art and is extremely wise.” When I relayed Rep. Kim’s evaluation about her, GHS made a dismissive waving gesture as if very embarrassed. GHS says, “I am not wise about living. Lot of holes with it. I don’t properly take care of things around me. Right now, my work studio is in a chaos.”
GHS’s art includes many oil paintings and abstract ball-pen drawings. So many lines link around flowers or hands, giving the shapes a feeling of abstruseness. 

Reporter: Looking at the drawings make me feel a bit depressed. (She smiled knowingly.)
GHS: I think so too. I am a very optimistic person. Yet, strangely, my paintings are expressed in a rather heavily, depressed way. It is a bit messy, but would you like to go into my work studio and look at my paintings?
 She then led us to her work studio which is off limit except to her film staff and friends.
A space that contains everything she loves: At the entrance to her work studio is her pet Gamja’s house which then opens to a cozy place of her own. Under the dim light, I saw one wall covered with books and CD’s and another corner a piano. A small room contained a movie editing system. Everywhere, as if indicating 무방비 (?openess? unfortified defense?), small and big paintings lay.
GHS: So messy, isn’t it? (She was in pins and needles from a sudden guest visiting her private space.)
GHS: It used to be a storage space. Then an art director whom I work with fixed it up for me. At times, it can get leaky with heavy rain and a bit damp, but it is tolerable.(smile) The drawings that you see here and there are my most recent work.

Reporter: Most are abstract but I see some faces now.
GHS: My family told me that they like the abstract paintings but that they want to see something more familiar in the drawings. So, I drew in faces and fish here and there. However, now they say they are afraid the pictures may appear in their dreams. (laughter).

Reporter: What is your style of work?
GHS: I do not have set hours. But sometimes I work on two or three paintings at one time. Usually I like to draw with =?pen and oil, but recently I am very much into Indian ink. I went to Lee WehSoo-teacher’s home and saw that paintings that I gave him three years ago lost color/form (?- 바랬다). I told him that the pictures have disappeared and he just plainly told me to draw with Indian ink. I am influenced by his drawings and I also really like the way my pictures are expressed through Indian ink. 

Reporter: Did you ever have your paintings sold?
GHS: I have donated but never properly tried to sell one. I have thought about what it would be like to sell my paintings. But I think I will have a hard time letting them go. They are me in a way…it would feel like taking a page out of my diary and giving it away. Right now, these pictures have not seen their light and are merely hidden away in storage, but I hope one day they become my important record and our family’s property. 

Reporter: Ha JungWoo-ssi (actor) once mentioned, while preparing for his art exhibit, that he felt as if he is exposing his inner flesh. That left me a deep impression. But, isn’t the life of a celebrity the same?
GHS: When one’s work involves making movies, dramas or paintings, they have endings which can bring up a big sense of loss. Sudden loneliness can take over. That is why there are many actors who suffer from depression after the completion of a drama. There might be misperception and misunderstanding about self-worth and uselessness. That is why I also immerse myself crazily in something new. I wonder, perhaps, that is why there are many actors who also draw. 

Reporter: When you do so many things at once, don’t you ever suddenly lose steam/blow a fuse?
GHS: Someone once asked me if I am living an enormously pressured life. But, to me, this is like playing. Even when I see friends, I like to talk art. Actually, I only have just one person whom I can call a friend. Of course, I am close to people in a general way. But, there is just one friend whom I can share and reveal just about everything and she is actress Suh HyunJin. I express through my works and she expresses through her body in dance. I respect my friend as an artist. 

Reporter: I thought you are a ?마당발(=someone with a wide and big feet; I guess someone who knows a lot of people; someone who get around?). But I guess not?
GHS: I do have a cell phone but there are only about 10 people with whom I continuously stay in touch. I am told that I am not like today’s person. I don’t even properly exchange greetings during the holidays and New Year. 

Reporter: I see that you have a bed in your studio. You must sleep here if working till dawn? I guess it is the actress’ privilege when not bound by needing to be at work at certain time?
GHS: When I am not doing a drama, I do use my time freely by working during the hours of dawn. My days and nights are basically switched. I have a tendency to become totally absorbed in whatever I am doing. Basically, I work till I collapse into sleep. 

Rooky movie director who undergoes battles with her staff: GHS entered the movie-making world by directing movies that she herself writes. She has recently finished editing her second feature movie, Peach Tree, and is waiting its opening in October of this year. She says she was also up late last night making the trailer for the Peach Tree. What? A director makes a trailer? GHS laughs and says that her film company is not in any position to hire others to do the work. GHS showed us the trailer: A tree stands in a prairie field. A peaceful beginning unfolds into  more dramatic scenes . Jo SeungWoo and Ryu DukHwan appear as Siamese twins and Nam SangMi as their object of love.

Reporter: Siamese twins as the theme is very unique.
GHS: Originally, I wanted to make a movie about mutants. But, I knew that I cannot get too philosophical so opted for something more familiar to the public. The person in the front covers the person in the back and carries out a pretty normal life. The person in the back always lives a life in isolation. As time passes, the person in the back accepts his reality, however, the person in the front becomes more askew. I have always thought about the possibility of existence of people inside the people. It is a story requiring great, important acting skills and I am fortunate to have big-name actors to work with me.

English translation by : cheerkoo @GHS thread soompi page 992 

No comments:

Post a Comment